I have been back in the community for just over 6 weeks now. Since I returned I have been very reluctant to leave even when I had the opportunity. Despite the fact I now have a lockable steel cage plus a locking security screen door and three deadlocks on the solid door to my donga, I have not forgotten the trauma of last year. A day or two away is not distressing, but now The Wet is setting in I get a little angsty about the possibility of being caught out of town by the weather once more.
On Friday I was to have attended our team planning meeting in Halls Creek. They booked me into the SPQ for Thursday and Friday night. I was actually keen to go because I have a small pile of parcels to collect from Halls Creek and also I wanted to do a run to Kununurra on Saturday to stock up on groceries and essentials. Plus a break away from here would be good for me. I may be going a little stir crazy. Had I gone I would have come home again today, Sunday.
A severe weather warning was issued just before I was about to set out. I phoned the boss to ask if I should come in anyway or should I attend the meeting by telephone conference instead. Just as well that was the decision, because the road was closed on Friday, and judging by the downpours since it will likely not reopen for a few days or a week or more.
Margie suggested jokingly I was a “pussy” for not wishing to come into town. On the contrary, if I was permitted to drive through the mud and floods I would be happy to do so. It is not travelling in the weather I worry about, but not being permitted to travel through it. Getting stuck in mud is a challenge, and fun. Being stuck as a supernumary in Halls Creek is no fun at all. I’d rather be here while all my stuff is here.