In my opinion. Best SF Films of all Time
A list. Not in any way to be considered definitive. The list is in no particular order. It would be impossible to objectively rank these movies. Chosen because they came immediately to mind and because aside from being well directed and performed they were well written and had great special effects for their time. Also they contributed to human philosophy and weren’t just cowboys and first nations in space. So you won’t see Star Wars here. Alien just squeaked in. I tried to choose ten, but settled for
fifteen. Correction , eighteen
one two. There are more, no doubt, that should be on this list. The not-so-subtle racism of Planet of the Apes probably should keep it off. I’m open to debate. Either way, I just mentioned it.
- Metropolis – the 1927 original
- Blade Runner
- Blade Runner 2049
- 2001 A Space Odyssey
- Twelve Monkeys
- A Clockwork Orange
- Ghost in the Shell (original animation)
- Solaris (1976 version)
- Back to the Future – all three
- Alien – although it is really a gothic horror set in space
- Aliens – maybe… after that the franchise went awry.
- Gravity. Some far-fetched plot devices but otherwise almost perfect. Stunning soundtrack.
- Forbidden Planet (1956)
- The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
- A Boy and His Dog
Oh, and one more. Special mention:
I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958) – Because it is the first SF film I ever saw. I was probably ten years old. It stirred my imagination. When I saw it again years later, I realised it was remarkably underrated as a B Movie. In 2001 I noticed a distinct similarity to its plot in The Astronaut’s Wife, which, despite having Charlize Theron, does not make my list.